Thursday, August 12, 2004

I'm working in those new houses I told you about.The three people working in this one house are all named Rob.This has worked out great.One Rob is the carpenter putting in the cabinets and stairs.He's alright for the most part although he is a little cranky first thing in the morning.

He started to tell me how the woodwork in these houses was sold as "blonde maple" to the prospective buyers.I laughed because there is no such thing as blonde maple.Maple is native to Vermont and the cheepest wood available is the real reason.I told him what they should say is "every piece of blonde maple is handpicked by our expert craftsmen."He made reference to people from Connecticut being gullible and I didn't render an arguement even though I was born there."I tend to think they just had no reason not to believe it was anything other than as stated.

It reminded me of the summer I worked with these two old gentlemen carpenters.Junie and Carl Sr. wore white work aprons and everything that came out of their mouths was suspect of not being true.They loved to kid around all the time.I think that played a big part in why I do it.

One day,Junie was hanging a door and the Mrs. Homeowner (in Connecticut by the way)came in and noticed he was sliding a matchbook cover under the door hinge.She asked how come he was doing that.Junie replied that it was a "squeek pad" and would ensure that the door wouldn't squeek like some doors do.She thought this was just the greatest thing in the world and thanked him for the extra effort and then left the room.He winked at me and said "always have a reason for the things you are doing".The reality was he had mortised the door hinge a little too deeply and used it to shim it to the proper depth.He and Carl Sr. were pretty quick witted guys and it was a good learning experience for sure. I could just imagine Mrs. H. telling her friends that her carpenters put squeek pads on all of the doors.I think Ill start wearing a white work apron from now on to carry on this great tradition.

6 Comments:

Blogger Peg said...

oh, and don't forget those white paints with all the pockets for all the neat tools you guys get to use! And that nifty leather pouch slung cock-eyed over one hip with all the deep slots for real equipment that have real names!
I had a guy (the owner), (as I noticed a piece of board laying in a peculiar place like it was sorta planted there and of course my curiousity wouldn't stay at bay and I moved the board and found me a nice big split at the end of the wood on one of the deck boards), tell me that most contractors will do that on purpose for the first board just in case the other board (next to it) they put down expands, it gives the first board a place to "give" so it doesn't bow or "move". I said, "REALLY?" in my you don't say kinda voice, and he said, "Yes." So I told him, "Hmm, gonna have to tell my husband about that cause everytime he does that he curses something awful then replaces the board." The owner then says, "Well, we can do that too." To which I replied, "Well, whatever you think is best." It was replaced before hubby got home. ;-)
Good to see you Rob, master of all trades!

11:43 AM  
Blogger boabhan sith said...

A door cushin?...LOL
It's all in the way you tell it. I had once a real pain-in-the-butt patient. I'm used to them for the most part, but this one was a card. It wasn't even my patient but the other aid couldn't get him to let her turn him. He was a hip surgery so I know he was hurting. I told him I was going to reposition the mattress so we wouldn't have to move him. I didn't give him much room to argue. I took the bed and rolled him with it like they do in CCU. We tucked him in and made him comfortable and went out for a cigg break. The nurse and the aid laughed the rest of the night. The patient thought that he got his way, but it was we who had gotten our way, lol.

11:27 AM  
Blogger rob said...

Uh, what are you doing going out for a smoke break,aren't you in healthcare?
I remember old movies where the doctors would smoke in the hallways of the hospital.Now that's cool.
Maybe a big cigar would be better,though.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Nicman said...

LOL, sorry but all I could picture was "Alf and Ralph" from "Green Acres"......

9:36 PM  
Blogger anna said...

For some reason, this reminds me of the book "The Giver". In case you've never read it, the main character is informed in one part (relatively insignificant to MOST of the plot, but still) that adults can lie. He's been raised in a controlled "perfect" non-diverse society where everybody's assigned jobs and whatnot, so this little revelation is shocking.

Anyway.
My point is that YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PROFFESSIONALS AND ROLE MODELS FOR SOCIETY. For the love of Pope Gregory, if you're going to lie on the job, don't TELL us about it!!

1:26 AM  
Blogger Sara S said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home