Monday, November 01, 2004

For some reason I remembered today something that happened when I was 23.It was a beautiful summer day with not a cloud in the sky so I decided to take my boat out and do some fishing instead of going to work.I had a little motor boat docked at a marina in Stamford Harbor which is home to many boats both large and small.It was such a gorgeous day and I can't remember how I faired with the fish but most times it really didn't matter because I was content to just be out there on the Long Island Sound.

On the trip back into the harbor and coming in the opposite direction towards me was a 50' Hatteras Sportfisherman with a man sitting high on his flybridge at the controls of his yacht.Hatteras is world reknowned for producing beautiful seaworthy boats.As a matter of fact I used to work in the marina we were passing just then so I knew a little about boats.This boat was so beautiful I felt like hiding as I was in my little noname stinkpot and I thought to myself, someday, someday that will be me up there.

We were now almost side by side on each others left when the man gave a nod and a wave and the type of half smile one can so easily imagine.There was something ceremonial about the greeting like a right of passage,indianlike and spiritual and much easier to sense than explain.I waved back and I made an expression that would convey how awesome I thought his yacht was.

I admired the Hatteras as it passed.I turned my head to get one last look and on the transom,painted in big bold letters was the name.......SOMEDAY.

I've since lost sight of the dream but I will always remember the occurance and to this day it still invokes a smile.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peg said...

Very contagious, that smile! :-)

12:42 PM  
Blogger rob said...

Thanks Peg,

As you know I am now content to just kayak around with my kid.Why would I need anything more than that?
That guy got his someday and so have I.It was and still is cool.

11:33 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

i love the story.

i bet you have 10x as much fun in your kayak with your kid.

12:58 PM  
Blogger boabhan sith said...

*smiles*

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home